Thursday, November 2, 2017

Ode to the Prophet



بِسْمِ اللّهِ الرَّحْمـَنِ الرَّحِيمِ



Maulana Jami (نورالدین عبدالرحمن جامی) was a 15th century poet and theologian from what is modern day Afghanistan. A great scholar and mystic of the school of thought of Ibn Arabi, he has written seversal devotional poems (na'at) in honor of the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ). This is reportedly one of them which is regularly recited in masjids around Kashmir, however, it is not to be found in his collection (diwan):



یا رسولِ ہاشمی قربان نامت جانِ من
جانِ من جانانِ من با جملہ فرزاندانِ من
O Messenger(ﷺ), from the Hashemites, May my life be sacrificed in your name
And my soul, O Beloved (ﷺ), including all my progeny


از شعاعِ نور پاکِ تو منوّر یا رسول
دیدہٴ من سینہٴ من قلبِ من قلبانِ من
By the rays of your pure countenance did indeed
My eyes, my breast, my heart and my soul get illuminated


حضرت یعقوب می گوید فدایت یا رسول
دیدہٴ من یوسفِ من مصرِ من کنعانِ من 
Prophet Yaqub(عليه السلام) said that May I be sacrificed to you O Prophet(ﷺ)
And my eyes, and my Yousuf(عليه السلام), and my Egypt and Canaan



بندہٴ کم طاعتم از لطف آزادم بکن
خواجہٴ من سیدِ من شاهِ من سلطانِ من
I am a slave who obeys but little, yet free me
O my master, my leader, my king, my sultan



خاکِ راہِ  رہروانِ راہِ عشقت یا رسول
 سرمہٴ من دیدہٴ من چشمِ من چشمانِ من
The dust from the foot marks of travelers in the path of your love
Forms the collyrium of my eyes, and my eyes, and even my eyesight




یا رسولِ ابطحی بابُ السّلام روضہ ات
 قبلہٴ من کعبہٴ من دینِ من ایمانِ من
O Prophet(ﷺ) from Al-abtah, the bab al-salaam of your shrine is 
My Qiblah, my Ka'abah, my religion and my faith




سجدہٴ پاکت کہ باشد در قیامت یا رسول
 راحتِ من رحمتِ من ابرِ من نیسانِ من
Your sincere prostration on the Day of Judgment, O Prophet(ﷺ)
Will be my solace, my mercy, my shade and my Nisan



یک تكَّلم زان دو لعل شكَّرین فرما کہ ہست
قوّتِ من قوتِ من یاقوتِ من مرجانِ من
From those sweet garnet lips, do utter a phrase that becomes
My strength, my nutrition, ruby, my pearl




چشم دارد جامی مسکین
کہ فرمائی قبول
گریہٴ من نالہٴ من آہِ من افغا
نِ من
A glance of acceptance for-Jami the pauper doesn't have anything else but-
my tears, my laments, my sighs and my pleas





No comments:

Post a Comment